Workout Of the Day: 5 rounds for time of:
40 Double Unders
30 Box Jump – 24 in.s
20 Kettlebell Swings 1.5 pood
Why no dairy?
Strict Paleo eliminates any and all dairy products…why? At the most basic level it just wasn’t easy or practical to milk wild game animals. However, outside of that practicality there are some other reasons to eliminate dairy products from one’s diet. Dairy products contain lactose, which is not well tolerated by most people, particularly because the body does not produce enough of the enzyme lactase, which helps break down lactose, past about the age of 2 or 3…the age when our primal ancestors would have weaned their children.
Dairy products can also induce autoimmune issues in some people, whereas others seem to tolerate dairy just fine in this aspect. If you are firm on keeping dairy in your diet, I urge you to limit your consumption to raw, pastured, full fat dairy products. This way you are consuming less pesticides, hormones, etc., and getting some Omega 3 fatty acids. A good source is www.fryfarmscoop.com
What about calcium?
Dark green, leafy vegetables, such as Kale are a much better source of calcium than dairy. Sesame seed butter (tahini) is another good source. In fact, 3 Tbsp. of Tahini contains the same amount of Calcium as 8oz. of whole milk.
Recipe of the Week
2 bunches kale (red or green)
1-2 Tbsp. Avocado Oil
- Remove kale leaves from stems, wash well, spin dry in salad spinner (it is important to make sure the kale is SUPER dry)
- Toss leaves in Avocado Oil
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, arrange leaves in a single layer being sure they are flat and not folded over.
- Bake about 12 minutes at 350 degrees…stay close to the oven, they can burn very quickly!!
- Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy! Great dipped in salsa!!!